Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The job search begins...

I'm graduating from the University of Memphis in December. So many things to do! Besides classes, and my excellent internship at Publishing Smarter, I also have a thesis to write. My advisor, Dr. Loel Kim, told me that in order to find a topic, I should read about fifty articles on my subject. That seemed like a lot at the time...  but it turns out that when a subject holds my interest, I can't stop reading. Which is something I knew about myself. 

I'm using Zotero to collect my articles, and I love that it allows me to tag and make notes about each article. It's such a useful research tool, and I know I'll come back to it often as I write. My interest is in mobile applications and how they're currently being documented. I'm finding a lot of really interesting articles about user experience and how to translate a particular brand's experience across any screen they might be using to  find information or create content. I haven't quite settled on a thesis statement yet, but it's dancing around somewhere in the back of my head. 

I also realized that it's time to start my job hunt. Already!? I can't believe I need to start so early! But five months is not a lot of time, and I'd really love to have something lined up by the time I walk across the stage. So I've also been updating my resume and sending it to friends for review. I'm hoping to have a professional web presence soon, although the thought of that seems a bit daunting. I remember when a website was only HTML... and that's about how long it's been since I've coded one. I'm hoping I can put something together that looks professional and reflects who I am as a technical writer. 

Did I mention that I'm heading up the Mid-South chapter of the Society for Technical Communication's transition to a student chapter at the University of Memphis? It's going to be a busy semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment